FIRST STEPS DIVISION
Enroll your tiny dancer in FIRST STEPS, where experienced, dedicated teachers foster the imagination natural to young children while introducing them to the world of dance. Interpretive movement and creative games teach young dancers poise, along with the fundamentals of movement and coordination. Our youngest students will develop motor skills, discover creative expression, and engage in socialization. A variety of classes are available to best introduce dancers of all ages to the world of dance.
New York State and New York City Child Welfare laws mandate that parents or caregivers of children up until age 6 must be on the premises when the children are in class and/or in the building. Children ages 0-24 months must have a parent or caregiver in the studio with them.
DANCE WITH ME – Dance with me is designed to engage both the dancer and a parent or guardian. This class, created for children age 2-4, provides an empowering and inclusive space where families can support children in connecting, learning, and having fun through dance.
DISCOVER – “Discover” is a class created for dancers age 3-4 that introduces the fundamentals of dance in various styles. The class structure focuses on building foundational skills and exploring artistry while helping prepare the dancer for the next steps in their dance journey
EXPLORE – “Explore” expands the dancer’s knowledge of tap, ballet, and jazz and allows students to focus on the proper technique needed in more advanced classes. Dancers age 5-6 will focus on strengthening their dance abilities while embracing creative movement and artistry.
Sept. 11, 2023-Feb. 4, 2024
Feb. 5, 2023- June 9, 2024
FIRST STEPS INFORMATION
|Dance With Me|
|Saturday||9:30-10:15am||Lili Calahan Full|
|Sunday||11:00-11:45am||Lili Calahan Full|
|Friday||4:00-4:45pm||Rebecca Tsivkin Full|
Our dress code is designed to prepare our students for success in class. It allows them to fully focus on their work in the studio, while providing instructors with a clear perspective on their alignment. Arriving in proper attire creates an atmosphere of professionalism and community while providing an opportunity to demonstrate respect for faculty and craft.
For the 2023-24 year, dancers may continue to wear black or navy leotards and tights that they already own as we transition to the new dress code. Please keep the approved styles in mind when purchasing new dancewear. The approved styles for each program are listed below.
Click here to download a pdf of the dress code.
Dancers’ hair should be worn in a classical bun or pinned, clipped, or tied neatly and securely from the face.
WHERE TO BUY
Steps on Broadway partners with the dance manufacturers in NYC and all offer a generous discount to Academy students. You can find the required styles at On Stage Dancewear, Bloch, Capezio, and in the Steps Shop on the 3rd Floor.
Bloch Essential short-sleeved leotard (style CL5602) in pastel blue. Light blue First Steps T-shirt. (This will be given to all students)
Option 1: Pastel blue leotard, pink tights or tights to match complexion, and matching ballet slippers. Black wrap sweater (Bloch CZ0999 or Capezio CC850C) and Bloch pastel blue pull-on skirt (style CR5110) optional. No sparkle or sequin skirts. No tutus.
Option 2: Light blue First Steps T-shirt, black shorts or pants, black socks, and black ballet slippers.
Option 1: Pastel blue leotard with black shorts, pants or leggings.
Option 2: Light blue First Steps T-shirt, black socks, black shorts or pants.
Shoes: Black tap shoes and black socks for tap, black jazz shoes and black socks for jazz.
Click here to download the 2023-24 First Steps Division Handbook
REGISTRATION & TUITION
$680 per class per semester
- All classes will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis
- Annual Registration Fee: $65 (valid Sept – Aug)
- All registrations will be done online. We will not be accepting mailed forms or checks.
- From the home page of the Parent Portal, click Register for Classes
- Select the program you are interested in
- First Steps (Ages 2-6)
- Check the box next to each class to enroll then press Submit at the bottom of thepage
- Finish registration and payment to receive a confirmation email
- If you are in need of a monthly payment plan, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request one
Registration is not considered final until payment has been processed.
- Full tuition will be refunded only if written notification from the parent is received 24 hours PRIOR to the first class. A 75% refund, less total cost of all classes taken, will be granted before October 10, 2023. No refunds will be granted after that date, unless the program has been cancelled. Registration and all additional fees are non-refundable.
- Steps on Broadway reserves the right to provide virtual classes in lieu of In-Studio classes should conditions warrant doing so.