The Performance Lab Series is an opportunity to present completed works, works in progress, or experimental concepts in a studio theater setting. Produced two to three times a year, each Lab is tentatively scheduled for one performance, the number of applicants and acceptances determining the necessity of an additional performance. Pieces are selected on their own merit and the overall content of the show to ensure a well-balanced and inspired evening. If your piece is not selected to be presented, please re-submit as every evening is different. Early submission is recommended as space is limited.
The Lab, held in Steps Studio Theater, provides discounted rehearsal space, one spacing and a tech rehearsal, and limited advertising.
What you need to apply:
- Application form – Click here to fill out the form.
- $25 Application fee
- Link of the proposed work included in the form (please note highly edited video will NOT be accepted)
- Choreographer’s Bio
- Work should be a minimum of 2 minutes & a maximum of 10 minutes in length. All pieces will be stopped at 10 minutes.
- All styles of dance and multidisciplinary works are encouraged to apply,
- No nudity allowed.
- If accepted the piece will be performed one time for one night only.
- Program order will be made available after the technical rehearsal the Friday night before the show.
- Each choreographer may schedule one 30 minute spacing rehearsal two weeks prior to performance date. To reserve time contact Production@StepsNYC.com
- Artists/Creators or a performer in the piece are required to take part in a short Q&A immediately following the performance.
- Artists/Creator will be responsible for their own set up and break down of any props. Please keep props to a minimum.
Please email all questions to Production@StepsNYC.com with PERFORMANCE LAB SERIES in the subject line.